ACLU California Action protects civil liberties and civil rights, advances equity, justice, and freedom, and dismantles systems rooted in oppression and discrimination. Our organization uses rigorous policy analysis, advocacy, and strategic communications to achieve policy change on a statewide level. ACLU California Action is a 501(c)(4)*organization associated with the three ACLU affiliates in California—ACLU of Northern California, ACLU of Southern California, and ACLU of San Diego and Imperial Counties.
We are seeking to add an Executive, Finance & Administration Associate to our Sacramento-based team. As a critical partner in our work, manages and coordinates work, activities, and projects in support of Cal Action’s executive, finance, administration governance, technology, and office functions. We are looking for a thoughtful, mission-driven collaborator eager to deliver high level executive support (calendaring, correspondence, and travel/meeting logistics), coordinate projects and ongoing work; draft official business and corporate documents; coordinate budgets, invoices, and expense reports; arrange corporate and governance affairs; oversee office technology management; and manage organizational files and archives.
- Perform high-level, administrative duties for the Executive Director and Management Team members, often dealing with highly sensitive and confidential matters with diplomacy, tact, and discretion. This includes:
- Identifying executive correspondence/email needs and preparing drafts
- Coordinating travel and meeting arrangements
- Preparing expense reports
- Prepare meeting materials, such as background research, presentations, project/information packets, presentations and multi-media content.
- Maintain and track annual, quarterly, and monthly schedule finance, administration, and office activities; coordinate as directed and ensure timely completion.
- With direction, coordinate Cal Action’s corporate activities, including Board meetings, amendments and corrections to governing documents, and corporate filings.
- Coordinate and track organizational finances, through:
- Support for the annual budget development process;
- Preparing and routing invoices; credit and payment card reports; and expense reports for review, approval, and payment;
- Maintaining financial records appropriate to support audit needs and financial management best practices;
- Preparing financial reports for Fair Political Practices Commission filings, board and funder updates, and other purposes as requested; and
- Maintaining up to date finance procedures and FAQ to provide for continuity and consistency of staff practices across the organization.
- Facilitate the contract development and execution process; drafting contracts from templates, coordinating review, securing signatures; gathering W-9s for vendors; and maintaining the organizational contract log and files.
- Coordinate and provide administrative support on projects and initiatives, including developing and implementing plans, coordinating efforts, maintaining systems, tracking progress, preparing reports, facilitating communication, and following up on action items.
- Create systems, workflows, and procedures to ensure efficient administrative and office management; maintain FAQ of office and administrative procedures and share with staff.
- Manage office technology (copiers, printers, computers, etc.); track inventory/status and coordinating necessary maintenance, repairs, acquisition, and disposal.
- Organize all organizational and corporate files and records, hard copy and digital.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Two years relevant prior work experience in complex, fast-paced administrative roles required.
- Exceptional attention to detail, and an equal aptitude for information accuracy and integrity.
- Resourceful, diplomatic, team-oriented, accountable, and sensitive to the needs our partners and staff.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to obtain and clearly, accurately, and grammatically convey information.
- Visual communication skills sufficient to produce compelling and aesthetically impactful presentations, diagrams, and communications materials.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with Cal Action staff as well as a national and state-wide network of ACLU collaborators.
- Strong relationship-building and interpersonal skills, enthusiasm, optimism, and a sense of humor.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, flexible environment in a very planned, organized, and strategic manner.
- Strong proficiency with PC operating systems and Microsoft Office 360 applications –Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Ability to maintain work environment consistent with the handling of confidential organizational, financial, and employee information.
- Knowledge and familiarity with equity, inclusion, diversity, and belonging principles; proactively prioritizes these principles in one’s work and approach to relationship building.
- Essential functions and duties require being able to communicate, see, and follow reasonable ergonomic recommendations and/or assistive devices to communicate and/or computer for extended periods. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work overtime, holidays, weekends, and evenings as well as travel as needed.
- Ability to regularly work from the Cal Action office, near the Capitol in Sacramento, is essential.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience with executive support, legal, financial, and/or non-profit administration (501c4 and/or 501c3).
- Expertise and/or lived experience in one or more of our organizational areas of commitment such as criminal justice; immigrant rights; racial and economic justice; gender, sexuality, and reproductive justice; education equity; or voting rights.
- Knowledge of public policy, California governmental/legislative/political processes, and/or non-profit administration gain through experience or coursework.
- Demonstrated interest in contributing to advancing civil liberties and civil rights issues, progressive advocacy, social justice, and human rights.
Compensation & Benefits
Competitive compensation and benefits package includes employer sponsored medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your family, a retirement plan with a 2% employer contribution with additional employer match up to 5.5%, 22 paid vacation days, 10 days of sick time, and 20 paid holidays a year. Salary ranges from $50,000-65,000 and position is overtime eligible.
Please submit your resume no later than September 19, 2022 to [email protected] for consideration. If you have any questions about the position or our process, please reach out to Lindsay Cooper Martin at [email protected] or 916-249-2500.
ACLU California Action is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please contact Lindsay Cooper Martin at [email protected] or 916-249-2500. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request accommodation during the interview process.
ACLU Cal Action advances equity and inclusion in the workplace by providing equal employment opportunity to all as part of a work environment free from discrimination. We encourage and welcome applicants who will work to further this commitment and add to the diversity of our organization on multiple dimensions including race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, exercising the right to family care and medical leave, genetic information, marital status, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, political affiliation, or arrest or conviction record.
* This position will have regular and routine access to sensitive personal and financial information. Offers of employment for this role will be conditional upon satisfactory completion of the background check prior to the start date. Any negative findings will be assessed based upon the potential risks and liabilities related to the job’s functions above.
** Please note that as a 501(c)(4) organization our team members are not eligible to participate in most student loan forgiveness programs.